What to do when you’ve been suffering from migraine headaches for a couple of days? Decide to make cookies is what I do. I needed some type of distraction to get me moving around instead of lying in bed wishing my headache would go away.
Normally I never make just plain chocolate chip cookies, I usually always make them with toffee chips in them. But today I didn’t have any toffee chips and wanted to make something, so I grabbed some semi-sweet chocolate chips and also a couple bars of dark chocolate from the pantry and figured I would use both of these. Sometimes not having what you usually have on hand is a good thing.
First off start by pre-heating your oven to 375 degrees F.
Weigh out 150 grams of butter, then half way melt this in the microwave, i did this in two – 30 second cycles. It was mostly melted with a chunk of unmelted butter still left. Place this into your stand mixer and dump in 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of packed brown sugar (not dark). Mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
Meanwhile chop up 200 grams of dark chocolate (your choice, I had these bars in the pantry) and dump this into the mixing bowl along with 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Turn mixer to low and stir to combine, about 1 minute.
Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop out the dough, using a large scoop, placing 6 scoops of dough on each baking sheet. Bake in the centre of your oven, one pan at a time, for 15 minutes, until slightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes approximately 3 1/2 dozen (depending on size)
150 grams (2/3 cup) butter, partially melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed (not dark brown sugar)
1 pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
2 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
200 gr. dark chocolate, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Measure out butter and partially melt in microwave, cold from the fridge, I do this in two – 30 second intervals.
- Place butter, and both sugars in stand mixer and beat for 1 minute. Scrape down bowl.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, scraping after each addition.
- Add in salt and vanilla bean paste, beat to combine and then scrape down bowl.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda. Turn mixer to 2 and mix for about 30 seconds. Stop mixer.
- Add in semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped dark chocolate.
- Turn mixer to low and mix for another minute to combine everything evenly.
- Scoop batter onto parchment lined baking sheets, 6 scoops to a pan and bake for 15 minutes per pan, until cookies are just slightly brown around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on baking sheet before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
**Left over dough can be frozen (pre-scooped) and then baked from frozen at 375 degrees F for 17 to 18 minutes.**