There’s no real story behind these other than I saw something similar on Facebook, so I decided to alter it slightly and whip these up.
Warning: these are extremely addictive. I just pulled these out of the oven and they’re almost gone, my husband cannot stop eating them. You’ve been warned!
Potato Bacon Poppers
1 pkg. instant mashed potatoes, with the ingredients listed to make them (1 1/2 cups water, 2 tbsp. Margarine, pinch of salt, 1/2 cup milk)
4-6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 tsp. Black pepper
1 tsp. Onion powder
1/3 to 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the mashed potatoes according to directions on the package. The box we buy has 2 pouches, and you only need one for this recipe. (*if you have leftover mashed potatoes you need about 2 cups total)
- Let the mashed potatoes cool down while you fry up the bacon. (You can cook up the bacon any which way you like, I prefer to chop up the bacon before cooking it up, but it’s up to you, just get it crispy.
- Grate your Parmesan cheese.
- Mix everything together in the pot you made the mashed potatoes in (I feel good knowing I saved my husband a bowl to clean up, it’s my good deed for the day!)
- Using a mini muffin tin (the one with 24 divots), spray the pan very well with oil. I mean get it really well greased or these babies will stick to the pan and you will never, never get them out.
- Then divide the mashed potatoes evenly between the 24 cups, no need to flatten them, they do that in the oven.
- Pop them in the oven and bake for 35 minutes, Turing the pan half way through the cooking time.
- Once you remove them from the oven, using a small knife or I have a small spatula, carefully run it around the edge to loosen them and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool slightly.
- Should you have any left over, you can reheat these in the microwave, but they are definitely best when they are fresh from the oven.