These are the result of me having a bag of oats in the pantry (I made apple crisp a little while ago) and I wanted to make something with them. Oatmeal cookies came to mind, but I needed eggs, flour and softened butter for that, all of which I am lacking at the moment. I’ve been baking so much bread lately I’ve used up all my flour and need desperately to go to the store. I’m also out of eggs as I have these usually for breakfast, or as we do every Wednesday evening, have breakfast for supper. Ya were weird like that.
So along came granola. These taste like oatmeal cookies, without all the time consuming part of creaming butter and eggs, and scooping out.
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, just dump the oats, both sugars, salt and cinnamon in a big bowl, mixing together with a wooden spoon, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar. In a second smaller bowl, mix together the honey, oil and vanilla bean paste (if you don’t have vanilla bean paste it’s okay, just use pure vanilla extract) and whisk together. Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine. It’s good to get in there with your hands and make sure everything is combined and all the oats are coated evenly.
Now it’s time to dump this out onto a parchment lined baking sheet, spreading it out into an even layer. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, mine took 25 minutes and it was perfect.
Try and restrain yourself from eating the whole pan right away (I had to control myself, it’s very addictive) and allow this to cool. Then break up the chunks and store in an air tight container.
This is great as just a snack on its own, or on top of yogurt or with fruit. It’s so amazing.
Now I didn’t gave any nuts in the house, seriously I need to go shopping this is getting ridiculous, but pecans are absolutely amazing in this. Add about 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans in when mixing everything in. You won’t regret it. I am because I didn’t have any.
3 cups flaked oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar (optional, if you want it less sweet just omit)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup neutral oil (grape seed or canola)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional, but worth it)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl combine oats, sugars, salt and cinnamon (and nuts if adding). Mix together, making sure to break apart any clumps of brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix together honey, oil and vanilla bean paste.
- Pour honey mixture over oats mixture, stirring to combine. Using your hand give it a quick mix together to make sure everything is evenly coated, this is going to be sticky.
- Pour onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Mine was done at 25 minutes. Just keep checking, once it starts to get golden brown around the edges it’s done.
- Allow to cool and then store in an air tight container for 1 to 2 weeks (though they may never make it to 2 weeks, these are so good).