I wanted to try and make something special for my husband for his birthday yesterday, but he doesn’t have a sweet tooth, so I tried coming up with something that he would enjoy (even though there’s no meat in these).
These are so simple to make and can easily be increased or decreased depending on how many chips you want to make.
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
I used russet potatoes (baking potatoes) for these. They were what I had in the house, but I’m sure you could use other kinds.
I used 4 potatoes, peeled (this is a personal preference, if you want the skins on, leave them on), and freshly grated Parmesan cheese (please don’t use the stuff in the can), as well as some salt (I know Parmesan is already salty but potatoes soak up salt and they really do need it), pepper and onion powder, as well as olive oil.
Now if you’re lucky like me, and you have a mandolin (this is my third mandolin, because every time I use one I cut myself and then my husband throws it away, but this one has a guard so hopefully it will stick around for a while) then use the thinnest slicing setting. If not, try and slice the potatoes as thinly as possible, and place in the bowl with the oil and spices.
Mix these together with your hands, just get in there and make sure every slice is coated. Then, spread the potato slices into a single layer on parchment lined baking sheets (I used one sheet pan per potato). The fourth pan is on the counter, but I swear there were four pans.
Then bake in a preheated oven (375 degrees F) for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes remove from the oven and turn the potatoes over. They’re not done yet. Place back in the oven for another 20 to 25 minutes.
Once you remove them from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool. Then enjoy. (This is only half of them).
Parmesan Potato Chips
4 russet potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
3/4 tsp. Onion powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Mix together olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and onion powder in large bowl.
- Peel and wash potatoes (peeling is optional ).
- Thinly slice potatoes.
- Toss potatoes in oil/cheese mixture, making sure each slice is evenly coated.
- Spread potato slices on to baking sheets in a single layer, making sure they do not overlap.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn the potato slices over, then return to the oven for another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool, then enjoy right away or store in a zip loc bag.