This is one of those recipes that survived when my Oma passed away. It was in a box with a bunch of grocery lists (which I was really hoping were recipes, but were not). This was always made for holidays and other special occasions when I was growing up. I hated it. Never ate it, not even once. Could not stand the fact that it had fruit cocktail in it. I always begged for my Oma to make one without the fruit cocktail in it, but she always told me that it had to be in there or it wouldn’t set up properly. I was going to try and make it without the fruit cocktail, but I realized I was probably only going to eat a small amount and figured that it wasn’t worth it to make a whole batch without the fruit cocktail just for a small amount for me. But you can make this without it, I swear, it is not essential. You can add strawberries if you want, which is what I would do, I actually had them ready to be put in, but then just added the fruit cocktail, because that’s how my husband likes it.
To start off with, over top of a double boiler (or pot of hot water because now a days who really has a double boiler) mix together the eggs, sugar and vinegar. (I’m making a double batch of this so when you make this, it’s the old adage, do as I say, not as I do). Whip this until it is thick. It takes about 5 or 6 minutes. Once thick mix in the butter until completely combined, cover with plastic wrap (place this right on top so you don’t get a “skin” on top of the custard). Allow this to cool for a couple of hours in the fridge.
Once the custard is cooled, drain the fruit cocktail and crushed pineapple (same some of the liquid from the pineapple).
Whip your whipping cream to soft peaks, mix in the cooled custard. Add 2 Tbsp. of the liquid from the crushed pineapple to this mixture and give it a quick whip. Then add in the drained fruit cocktail, drained crushed pineapple and 2 cups of the coloured mini marshmallows. Mix all of this together and pour into your serving bowl (or you can divide this up into individual containers). Allow this to set up for 24 hours in the fridge and enjoy.
24 Hour Salad (Fruit)
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
4 Tbsp. sugar
4 Tbsp. vinegar (regular white)
2 Tbsp. butter (does not have to be room temperature)
1 cup Whipping cream (whipped)
1 can (regular size – not the large can) Fruit Cocktail (drained)
1 can (small can) Crushed Pineapple (drained – save some of the liquid)
2 cups mini marshmallows (the colourful ones)
- Over a pot of simmering water, mix together your eggs, sugar and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Whip this together until thickened – approx. 5 to 6 minutes.
- Once egg mixture is thickened, remove from heat and add in the butter. Mix to combine and cover with cling film and cool for approx. 2 hours in the fridge.
- Drain your fruit cocktail and crushed pineapple (save some of the liquid from the crushed pineapple).
- Whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Add in the cooled custard and 2 Tbsp. of the liquid from the crushed pineapple. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the mini marshmallows, fruit cocktail and crushed pineapple. Mix to combine.
- Pour into serving bowl(s), cover and place in the fridge for 24 hours to set up.