This is one of the simplest and yet amazing cakes that I make. The best part, it actually gets better on the second and third day. The flavours really start to come alive.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. And prepare your two 6″ springform pans (line with parchment and spray with baking spray).
Start by zesting an orange. And then juicing about 4 oranges. (You need 1 cup of fresh orange juice for this – although I fully support using the stuff in a carton, but then I wouldn’t have the zest, so it really is a double-edged sword for me). And you also need 1 cup of olive oil. (I use the olive oil that I use for everything from cooking to baking. I love the taste of it and don’t find it too strong in its flavour, so use your favorite olive oil, whether it’s extra virgin or regular). Whisk all of these together in a measuring cup (this just makes it easier to add to the batter.)
In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs until they start to come together and then slowly add in the sugar and whip until they are light yellow and thick.
Slowly add, alternating, the flour and orange juice/olive oil mixture, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients. The divide the batter between the two pans and bake them for 55 to 65 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. The cakes will puff up in the oven and then they will fall as the cool, this is okay. Allow the cakes to cool slightly in the pans (10 minutes) and then remove to a cooling rack.
To finish these cakes off, all they really need is a light dusting of powdered sugar. (Although I’m almost positive my step-dad will be covering the cake I give him with whipped cream).
Again, this get better on the second and third day, so if you make them for company, try to make them the day before. Store at room temperature.
Orange Olive Oil Cake
(makes two 6″ cakes)
1 Tbsp. Orange Zest
1 cup Orange Juice
1 cup Olive Oil
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 cups Flour
2 1/3 cups Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease (spray) two 6-inch springform pans or two 6-inch cake pans. (Place parchment paper in the bottom of the both types of pans.)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until blended, then gradually add in the sugar, beating until thick. The mixture will be pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the zest, juice and oil. Add to the egg mixture alternating with the dry ingredients, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients.
- Spread batter into pans evenly and bake for about 55 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool slightly (10 minutes) in pans and then remove and cool on rack.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over top before cutting and serving.